Cullinan Diamond Mine – Surface Tour
Cullinan Diamond Mine has given the world some of the most remarkable stones ever discovered.Located in the Victorian town named after it's most famous resident, Cullinan is a breathtaking 45-minute drive from South Africa's capital, Pretoria. Renowned as a source of large, high-quality gem diamonds, including Type II stones, as well as being the world’s most important source of very rare blue diamonds. Cullinan earned its place in history with the discovery of the Cullinan diamond in 1905, the largest rough gem diamond ever found at 3,106.75 carats was found only a mere 9 m from the surface. The jewel was named after the mine's owner and sold to the South African government who presented it to King Edward VII on his 66th birthday. The largest diamond the world has ever known was cut into nine major stones and approximately 96 smaller diamonds. Many of the world’s most famous diamonds herald from Cullinan, and it continues to produce world-class diamonds. Since the discovery of diamond pipes in the world, it was established that the Cullinan Diamond Pipe is the oldest pipe in the world. This is the only working diamond mine in the world that allow visitors the opportunity to visit underground operations. Join us on either the surface tour or a underground tour of the mine.
ABOUT THE SURFACE TOUR
- After being collected from your Hotel we make journey to Cullinan.
- Starting in the display room with a 10 min introduction video.
- Viewing replicas of famous diamonds.
- Mock-up tunnel-guide explains construction of tunnels underground.
- Then we are transported around the surface of the mine for a in depth overview of the mining operations.
- We will view shafts in operation - where kimberlite rock is hoisted from 500 m underground to the surface.
- A look out point of the big hole where volcanic eruptions took place.
- After finishing the surface tour of the mine, you will get the opportunity to visit the Cullinan Diamond Mine Jeweler for an unforgettable diamond and jewelry shopping experience.